Previous College Work

An applicant who has previously attended an accredited college or university which awards degrees at the associate level or higher and who has an overall grade point average of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale in all course work attempted will be accepted for admission. For specific information on course placement, applicants should refer to the KCTCS Assessment and Placement Policy, which is available on the website at or in the KCTCS catalog. An official transcript of all previous college work must be submitted. The Council on Postsecondary Education’s (CPE’s) general education transfer policy provides the basis for an institution’s policy on the acceptance of transfer credit. The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers’ "Transfer Credit Practices of Educational Institutions" shall serve as a reference for admission of transfer students to an institution and for the acceptance of transfer credit.

KCTCS colleges shall provide academic counseling concerning the transfer of credit to transferring students. KCTCS colleges shall accept a student’s college credit earned when a course is taken both for high school credit and for college credit. Credit earned through a dual credit or dual enrollment arrangement shall be treated the same as credit earned in any other college course.

Degree credit work is recognized credit hour for credit hour if taken on the semester system. Quarter hours are recognized as two-thirds (2/3) of a semester hour. Recognition of credit earned at a non-accredited college or university may be obtained by special subject examinations or may be validated upon the completion of 12 credit hours, excluding developmental or remedial courses, with a grade point average of at least 2.0.